To answer your question in brief – YES, Rottweilers can eat cheese, and actually – cheese bits can be a great treat while you are training your puppy. However, like all treats – it is best to feed the pup cheese in moderation.
Cheese is not toxic for dogs, and Rottweilers can eat cheese like mozzarella, cottage cheese, and cheddar. However, due to its high-fat content, it is recommended to feed it in moderation. Also, make sure your rottweiler is not lactose intolerant.
Further in this article, we will look into some benefits and some cons of feeding cheese to your rottweiler.
The Benefits of Eating Cheese
Cheese is a delicious treat for your rottweiler. You can use it as a high-value treat while teaching them new tricks or commands.
Most Rotties love to eat cheese, and your Rottie is going to love it too. Here are some of the most notable benefits of feeding cheese to your pooch:
- Nutritionally Rich: Cheese contains a lot of nutrients that are very good for your dog. Apart from the healthy dose of calcium and vitamin D – which is very important for big and powerful dogs like Rotties – cheese is also a good source of B-complex vitamins, proteins, and Vitamin A.
- Great Way to Give Medicines: Dog owners know VERY well how troublesome it can be to get your dog to take their medicine. The best way to do it is to hide the pills in a slice of cheese. Your puppy will think that they’re getting a treat, and they will scarf down the medicine without any tantrums.
- Excellent Treat for Training: As mentioned before, cheese is also a fabulous treat to reward your Rottweiler while you are training them. Slipping a little bit of cottage cheese when your Rottie goes potty outside on their own is a wonderful way of training by positive reinforcement.
- It is Yummy: Humans and dogs have this in common – they both LOVE cheese. Cheese is tasty, and you might find yourself nibbling on the very same cheddar that you got for your Rottie.
Also Read: Best Dog Treats for Rottweilers.
The Pitfalls of Eating Cheese
However, before you start handing out cheese to your Rottie – here are some of the basic potential pitfalls associated with dogs and cheese that you should know about.
- Cheese can be very high in fat, which is why you should be very careful about the kind of cheese that you get for your dog.
Try to get cheese that is low in fat and doesn’t contain any salt – such as mozzarella or goat cheese. Cottage cheese is best for dogs since it has a shallow sodium level.
- Not all cheeses are appropriate for dogs. There are artisanal and exotic cheeses out there that have yeast, herbs, onions, garlic, etc. in them.
These are not at all good for your Rottie – or in fact, any other dog out there. Using low-fat cheese, you can reduce the likelihood of severe conditions such as pancreatitis, weight gain, obesity, etc.
- Many dogs can also be intolerant to lactose. Cheese usually contains a high level of lactose, which is why it can induce digestive upset in many puppies.
That is why vets recommend Rottie owners to feed their dog mozzarella or cottage cheese – which has a very tiny amount of lactose. Consult with your vet before you feed your dog cheese.
Types of Cheese that are Safe for Rottweilers
Not all cheeses are safe for your pooch. I have listed down few types of cheese which are healthy and safe for your Rottie.
- Cheddar Cheese
- Cottage Cheese
- String Cheese
The cheese should be completely plain, and it shouldn’t contain onion, sauce, or any spices.
Try to Give Dogs Aged Cheese
Vets recommend giving dogs aged cheese, such as mozzarella and cheddar. These cheeses are aged for a very long time, which means that the lactose present in them has been broken down a long time ago.
As a result, it is highly improbable that they will induce some reaction in your dog. It is essential to avoid full-fat and high-sodium cheese.
While cheese is a great way to hide pills in, do NOT ever use cheese while feeding your dog their antibiotics.
Taking dairy products like cheese with antibiotic medicines can negatively affect how the drug reacts with your dog’s immune system. The cheese binds with the medicines and renders them useless. Talk to your vet before using cheese.
Good Remedy for an Upset Stomach
Another interesting tidbit is the fact that Rottweilers can sometimes be prone to an upset stomach. If your puppy is recovering from a tummy problem, you should feed them some cooked white rice with some blended cheese.
Adding a little cottage cheese to your dog’s main meals once in a while is a great idea. They will benefit significantly from the nutrition. It is one of the best remedies if your puppy is recovering from tummy problems.
Also, it is essential to remember that the MODERATION IS KEY. Do not give your dog cheese daily. A couple of main meals or three times a week is enough, depending on the breed of your dog.
For Rotties, having cottage cheese in the main meal 2-3 times a week is more than enough. Ensure that you feed your dog only two meals a day – since this breed is susceptible to obesity.
While Rottweilers can eat cheese, it is essential to feed them cheese in moderation.
Too much of anything is not a good idea, and the same goes with Rotties and cheese. Even though cheese is allowed, some dogs may be lactose intolerant as well. Check with your vet before you decide on a treat.
This will ensure that your Rottie is happy, healthy, and perfectly fit. They can live a long life and not have to deal with ailments.